Friday, October 1, 2010

Banned-books week?

Banned Books Week BannerImage by DML East Branch via Flickr









"Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image, but thee who destroys a good book, kills reason its self."
John Milton



Yesterday, my dear friend Kara posted of FB about "Banned-books week".

My first thought was incredulity. Am I in the 15th Century? Are people burning books somewhere and I didn't get notified?

Kara sent me this link:

http://www.banned-books.com/

I have been reading it and found that authors such as Mark Twain, William Shakespeare, Ernest Hemingway, Carlos Fuentes, J.K. Rowling, Maya Angelou, Honoré de Balzac, James Joyce, Nathaniel Hawthorne, George Bernard Shaw, Alexandr Solzhenitsyn, J.R.R. Tolkien, Gabriel García Márquez, among others have been banned.

I love to read. I usually read anything that falls into my hands, being a paper, old-fashion book or an e-book.

I have read great books and I have read rubbish. I have read theology and philosophy books that are real jewels in my book collection, and I have read things that deserve to be in a trash can.

But that is MY opinion on what I have read. I can share it with the people around me. I can recommend a book or say that it is not worth 5 minutes of your time. But who am I to ban a book?

I am now rereading Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows, just to get in the mood for the release of the first part of the same-name movie. I learned yesterday, that I am the greatest fan of a banned book and that I have read it to my kids, does that make me a criminal, an unsuited parent?

So, as my dear friend Kara asked: what are you going to read to protest against banned books week?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment