Image by jlastras via FlickrI want to share with you the meal I fixed for my family today:
- 1 lb alubias (Spanish white beans)
- 1 lb pork meat
- 1 lb beef meat
- 1 lb chicken meat
- 1/2 lb chorizo
- 1/2 lb cured ham (if you get hold of serrano ham, it is much better)
- 1 onion
- 1 pinch of saffron (the Spanish spice you use to make paella)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- pepper corns
- enough water
- 1 big onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves or garlic, minced
- cilantro leaves, shredded
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- corn tortillas, heated
1. Clean and soak the alubias overnight in cold water
2. In a BIG pot, throw the rest of the ingredients and cover them with cold water. DO NOT add salt, because the ham and the chorizo are salty.
3. Heat and simmer for approximately 4 - 6 hours
4. When the meats are fork tender, take them out of the broth and let them cool down
5. Put the alubias in the broth and cook until tender.
6. Meanwhile, shred or cut the meat into fine strips.
7. In a pan, heat the olive oil, saute the onions until tender, add the garlic and the meat.
8 Add the cilantro leaves, and add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the alubia soup as a first course and then serve the meat and the tortillas and watch your family enjoy your fabulous meal!